Labels

domingo, 13 de octubre de 2013

Why a Game Artist?

Hello! My name is Carla Chanquia and I am currently a first year student at De Montfort University studying Game Art Design. Why Game Art Design you may ask? Well in order to answer that question I should let you know about my past and the different events that brought me here.

I was born in Barcelona, Spain. It is sunny, beautiful and brushes the Mediterranean sea. Before myself came my older sister who is very artistic, you could say she was born with talent! I've always been quite artistic but I wasn't born with it, my gifts appear to be patience and determination. I have worked hard to catch up to my sister's progress, I always wanted her approval on my work but it never came no matter how hard I tried, I was never good enough. I believe that hard work will be able to surpass any talent so I have kept working at my pace knowing that one day I will become a great artist.

I would consider myself a creative person. I love to write stories, such is the extent that I previously wanted to become a writer! I still write, but it is more of a hobby than anything serious.

By the time I reached secondary school my best friend introduced me to her cousin. He was passionate in becoming a game programmer and his resolve impressed me. And at that moment I realised that that was the future I wanted to pursue. I was intrigued at being able to combine my creative side with technology to convert my thoughts into images.

At age of 16 I took part in an exchange student program in the United States of America. I lived with a hosting family for a year in order to learn the english language.
In high school I took a programming course but did not enjoy it as much as I expected, I realised it was the artistic side of gaming that I liked the most.

While I was in America my dad got a job offer in the United Kingdom so the whole family moved here. I went into Sixth Form and for the first time in my life I took part in an art course. I had always drawn my own pieces and those two years prior to university helped me a lot in terms of exploring new media and gaining confidence in my art work.

My first year passed by and while looking for university undergraduate courses I stumbled across De Montfort University. This was where I found the popular Game Art Design course and it felt like a dream come true, my future was lying there in front of me.

Why do I want to be a game artist?

Because I am determined to become one, I've already come such a long way. I had to overcome some tough decisions to be stood where I am now but everything has led me here and I'm convinced that it was not a coincidence. I want to be a great artist, I want to be recognised and I want to distribute my knowledge as much as I like to learn. I want to create something that people will be able to appreciate and enjoy.

To conclude, this is just the beginning and this blog has been made to record my development and experiences as I become an artist. Thank you for reading.

Carla.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario