Labels

jueves, 9 de octubre de 2014

Film room project

Hello! This past week has been crazy and I can clearly feel the increase in difficulty compared to first year. We are expected to commit 100% to the course and have a focused mind. The tutors have given us more freedom in terms of how we manage our time. It is scary and from time to time I get a bit anxious thinking that I only have two years to become a professional game artist!

The good thing is that this year I am a lot more focused. I feel like I am ready to take on any challenge and give my all. I feel ready to work hard.

Film room project!

In groups we have to choose a room from a movie and make an exact replica in 3D which it's pretty cool.




Our first choice was to model the snow garden in Kill Bill since we all had seen the movie and we liked it. The "room" by itself is kind of boring so we wanted to add interesting elements to the scene such as falling snow, garden lights and katanas. Later on we found out that we were meant to replicate what was on the screen shot, in other words, we were not allowed to change or add anything to the scene.

Therefore we had to come up with something different.



This was my second mood board, I decided not to choose from movies I had seen but from screen shots that I found eye catching. I think my favourite is the clock room in Hugo. I'd love to model that room!

We made another mood board including references from each member of the team and from there we picked a few that interested us the most.


I did quick paintovers on the scenes I liked to see if the room still looked interesting without the characters as well as making colour palettes for each of them.

In the end we chose to model the tent room in the movie "The royal Tenenbaums".


Personally I would've picked something else, something more structural and more eye catching but at the end of the day this project it's not to please myself but the audience, in this case our tutors. 

In any case I like this room anyway and I think it's got pretty interesting objects to model and texture. 


We split the assets amongst the team members and I decided to make the toy cars placed on top of the record player as well as on the floor under the little table. 

I'm only doing these three assets because of their difficulty. It'll probably take me about the same time to model those cars as the rest of the group doing their assigned assets.


After doing some research and putting together a mood board I made the concepts of the three main cars in the scene. I used real car references but I intend to simplify them a little bit considering they are toys. I set myself a maximum budget of 1000 triangles per car knowing they are going to be very small in the scene and it's a waste of polygons to do a detailed version when no one will be able to appreciate it.

And this is as far as I got! Next step is to create orthographic views for each one of them and start modelling!


Carla.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario