Labels

sábado, 10 de enero de 2015

What to do with a container?

Hello, I'm back and Happy new year to you all!

My Christmas holidays were a bit busy and yet kind of relaxing. I barely had time to focus on my own work due to my family constantly requiring my attention. Specially my 6 year old sister...

Anyways, I'm back at Uni which means stress, lack of sleep and cheap food once again. First project this semester is a group project...I don't mind group projects, I kind of like them as long as I end up with a good group but they always let us pick the groups and everyone ends up teaming up with their friends and I have to go search for someone who doesn't have a team yet...

The project is about building a small level out of shipping containers. They don't need to be the exact containers, we can change it to fit with our chosen themes. The only rule is that it has to be a closed space. It also has to have 2 or 3 interactive elements in it.

They gave us two themes to choose from: Dystopian or Sci-fi or a mix of both.

We decided to give ourselves 10 min to come up with ideas and pick the one we liked the most. In the end we decided to go with a dystopian scenario.

Our first idea was an island populated by a tribe who took containers from a shipwreck and built a temple with them.





As we were creating our mood boards we decided to make an underground level that leads to a shrine. We thought of incorporating objects that they found inside the containers as well as the ship. Things like technological equipment, artifacts, furniture etc.


I did some rough level designs and as I was creating them I thought of the idea of having a prisoner who wants to escape from this place.


In the end we decided to go with the design number 6 because it was a nice maze-like shape. The rest of the team members liked the idea of the prisoner and so we decided to go down that route.


I did some concepts of the dungeon (where the player will start) just so we would agree on the atmosphere for the level.

We wanted to have lots of sand, some foliage as the player makes his way to the surface and water as it reaches the end of the level. Rooms would be predominantly dark except from a few beams of light that would peek through the cracks on the ceiling.

We have done a rough block out of our level in 3D and we're now focusing on concepting the different rooms on the level. We're excited for this project and if we manage to make it just the way we want it'll look amazing!

That's all for now, see you soon!

Carla.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario